South Kent School, established in 1923, is a college preparatory school for boys in grades 9 through 12, nestled in the hills of picturesque northwestern Connecticut. South Kent School prepares young men to succeed in college and thrive as thoughtful and engaged citizens in a rapidly changing and intensely competitive world. Guided by this, our mission, South Kent School’s academic, athletic, and community life programs work together to develop thriving young men. Using our contemporary expertise in male adolescent education, we are constantly evolving and adapting our instruction to ensure we are providing students with the skills and developing the character they will need to succeed in college and the world beyond.
Open Faculty and Staff Positions
South Kent School is hiring for the following positions:
Job Posting: July 2022
Chief Financial Officer
South Kent School prepares young men to succeed in college and thrive as thoughtful and engaged citizens in a rapidly changing and intensely competitive world.
Founded in 1923, South Kent School is a private all-boys boarding school located on a beautiful 650-acre campus in South Kent, Connecticut. Surrounded by Bull Mountain, Hatch Pond, and the historic Bulls Bridge, the School was founded on a trinity of values: Simplicity of Life, Self-Reliance, and Directness of Purpose. These values have served students and alumni of South Kent for almost 100 years.
South Kent offers world-class academics, a robust student life, and strong athletics. These programs provide the resources and the encouragement that our students need to become thriving young men. This includes a framework for him to be emotionally intelligent, a critical thinker, resilient and agile, spiritually aware, and mindful and collaborative.
Reporting to the Head of School, Lawrence Smith, and supporting the Board of Trustees, the Chief Financial Officer is a critical role at South Kent.
The Chief Financial Officer will oversee all financial operations and have a demonstrated track record of success in managerial leadership and experience in a broad range of financial matters. S/he will understand and appreciate an independent school culture and have the ability to communicate effectively and interface easily with all constituencies, both inside and outside of the School.
The Chief Financial Officer will be a key member of the Senior Administrative Team and will work to ensure congruence among the School’s financial, business and operations areas to help fulfill the School’s mission, core values, and strategic initiatives. Above all, the Chief Financial Officer must understand and appreciate the balance between the business considerations and the School’s primary purpose of educating students.
The Chief Financial Officer of the School will be a person who can balance the demands of the job, including accountability for producing measurable results, working as a cooperating member of a team, taking appropriate risks, and making appropriate decisions while always doing so with the mission of the School foremost in mind.
The successful candidate will demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and proficiency in speaking and writing. Minimum qualifications are a bachelor’s degree in a related field, proficiency in computerized spreadsheets, general ledger and financial modeling, and at least ten years of experience, preferably in an educational context or with similar responsibilities in a not-for-profit organization. An MBA and/or CPA certification is a plus.
The Chief Financial Officer will report directly to the Head of School and will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Provide transparent and accurate financial reporting that builds trust among administrators, staff, and the Board of Trustees and ensures a successful annual audit.
- Lead the preparation of the annual budget, quarterly forecasting, and long-term financial plans in conjunction with the Head of School and the appropriate officers of the Board. Develop and implement a timely budget process that includes all budget managers at the appropriate level.
- Oversee the operations of the Business Office; maintain an effective system of internal controls and ensure that transactions are accounted for in accordance with GAAP.
- Approve all financial obligations of the School.
- Serve as primary liaison to the Finance and Buildings and Grounds Committees of the Board of Trustees, working closely with these Committee chairs and organizing agendas and meeting materials.
- Coordinate with the outside investment manager to execute the endowment and investment policy decisions of the Finance Committee, including endowment allocation, investment, and reporting.
- Manage credit facilities and relationships with bank lenders, including monitoring and ensuring compliance with loan covenants and ratios.
- Serve as a member of the Financial Aid Committee.
- Oversee risk management and the renewal of the School’s property, casualty, health, and liability programs.
- Oversee operational issues of risk management.
- Oversee all annual staff evaluations and staff contracts.
- Oversee all operational management of the Health Center and food services.
- Coordinate with the School’s outside counsel regarding all legal matters.
- Ensure that the School complies with all local, state, and federal reporting requirements.
- Oversee the Director of Facilities Management and the Projects Manager regarding all aspects of plant operations (including the main campus, North Campus, and rental properties, where appropriate), including security, maintenance, construction, service contracts, etc.
- Oversee all vendor contracting.
- Oversee Human Resources and ensure the administration of sound and consistent employment policies, payroll, benefits programs, and record keeping.
- Lead by example and operate and create an environment tightly aligned with the School’s mission, culture, and values of respect, transparency, and accountability.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual to make a significant impact on the School. The ideal candidate is invested in the education of young people and is willing to “roll up their sleeves” for the good of the students while interacting with a dedicated and focused faculty and administration.
The compensation package will be guided by market standards and commensurate with experience.
Type: Full Time-Administration
Category: Business Management
Qualified candidates can confidentially send a cover letter and resume to the Search Committee: [email protected]